January 26, 2012
Mixing contact lenses and cosmetics can be a messy situation. Here are some tips from the American Optometric Association (AOA) that will help you keep your eyes safe while using cosmetics and contact lenses.
Put on soft contact lenses before applying makeup.
- Put on rigid gas-permeable (RGP) lenses after makeup is applied.
- Avoid lash-extending mascara, which has fibers that can irritate the eyes, and waterproof mascara, which cannot be easily removed with water and may stain soft contact lenses.
- Do not use hand creams.
- Remove contact lenses before removing makeup.
- Choose an oil-free moisturizer or lotions before applying contacts. They can leave film on your lenses.
- Use hairspray before putting on your contacts. If you use hairspray while you are wearing your contacts, close your eyes during spraying and for a few seconds afterwards.
- Blink your eyes frequently while under a hair drier or blower to keep your eyes from getting too dry.
- Keep false eyelash cement, nail polish and remover, perfume and cologne away from the lenses. They can damage the plastic.
- Choose water-based, hypo-allergenic liquid foundations. Cream makeup may leave a film on your lenses.¹