by Molly Otworth
Everyone wants to succeed when fitting a new contact lens patient for the first time. Getting it right on the first visit instills confidence in the patient and helps the practice with profitability1.
Having a go-to lens you are comfortable to start a patient in is key. Here are the top five reasons why clariti 1 day was my preferred lens during a first appointment:
- Power Range: The power range of clariti 1 day is broad. The range is -0.50 to -10.00 and +0.50 to +8.00. This will cover the majority of new contact lens patients who need a spherical lens.2
- Material: The lens material is silicone hydrogel (SiHy) which helps keeps eyes whiter‡ and overall healthier3. Picking the healthiest and most comfortable option4 for a new wearer is a “no brainer.”
- Ease of care: Daily lenses are always preferred for new patients. They are opened fresh each day and thrown away at night. This minimizes the risk for infection5 and improves comfort.4
- UV Blocker: clariti 1 day lenses have a UV blocker that helps protect eyes against ultra violet rays*. Helping protect a patient’s eyes from ultraviolet light along with providing quality vision** are extremely beneficial features.
- Price: The price of clariti 1 day lenses is comparable to many of its hydrogel counterparts. clariti 1 day oﬀers an aﬀordable option for new patientsÙ in my preferred SiHy material.
- Bonus: clariti 1 day6 is the first contact lens to be net plastic neutral through credits the manufacturer purchases from Plastic Bank.+7,8 This is a great selling point especially for the environmentally conscious patient9.
When fitting contact lenses for a new wearer consider these 6 points! You might find that clariti 1 day becomes your “go-to lens” as well.
Molly Otworth is an ABO-NCLE certified optician based in Ohio.
‡Data on file, CooperVision; clariti® 1 day offers whiter eyes than 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST®
* Warning: UV-absorbing contact lenses are not substitutes for protective UV-absorbing eyewear, such as UV- absorbing goggles or sunglasses, because they do not completely cover the eye and surrounding area. Patients should continue to use UV-absorbing eyewear as directed.
** Observational satisfaction survey involving 1718 patients (new lens wearers n=1091, refitted lens wearers n=627) who were fitted with clariti® 1 day.
Ù Based on 166 participating eye care professionals in a multi-national online survey, 2016.
+ Based on top 4 global contact lens manufacturers.
CVI data on file, 2020. Rx coverage database; 14 to 70 years; Rx with <0.75DC.
Brennan NA. Beyond Flux: Total Corneal Oxygen Consumption as an Index of Corneal Oxygenation During Contact Lens Wear. Optom Vis Sci 2005. 2005;82(6):467-472.
Orsborn G, Dumbleton K. Eye Care Professionals' Perceptions of the Benefits of Daily Disposable Silicone Hydrogel Contact Lenses, Contact Lens and Anterior Eye; 42 (2019) 4:373-379. CVI data on file 2018. Survey results of ECPs in US, UK and Japan, n=300.
Chalmers RL, Hickson-Curran SB, et all. Rates of adverse events with hydrogel and silicone hydrogel daily disposable lenses in a large postmarket surveillance registry: the TEMPO registry. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2015; 56: 654-663.]
clariti® 1 day is defined as orders and includes clariti® 1 day sphere, clariti® 1 day toric, and clariti® 1 day multifocal product sold & distributed by CooperVision in the US.
Net plastic neutrality is established by purchasing credits from Plastic Bank. A credit represents the collection and conversion of one kilogram of plastic that may reach or be destined for waterways.. CooperVision purchases credits equal to the weight of plastic in clariti® 1 day orders in a specified time period. clariti® 1 day plastic is determined by the weight of plastic in the blister, the lens, and the secondary package, including laminates, adhesives, and auxiliary inputs (e.g. ink).
CVI data on file, 2020. Sustainability report, clariti® 1 day in US.
CooperVision data on file 2020. Sustainability report, clariti® 1 day in US. clariti® 1 day is defined as orders and includes clariti® 1 day sphere, clariti® 1 day toric, and clariti® 1 day multifocal product sold and distributed by CooperVision in the U.S.