- Majority of Millennials Reporting Digital Eye Fatigue Symptoms; Eye Tiredness and Dryness Affecting Millions as Digital Device Use Skyrockets
- New CooperVision® Biofinity Energys™ Contact Lens Acclaimed by Optometrists and Patients; Combines Breakthrough Optical Properties and Advanced Moisture-Retaining Polymer Material
- Now Available Across the United States and in Select European Markets
- Media Attending Pepcom Digital Experience! Eligible for Six-Month Lens Trial
LAS VEGAS, January 4, 2017 — As nearly 200,000 digital industry leaders descend on Las Vegas for CES 2017, gazing at display screens of all shapes and sizes for days on end, there’s new hope that the associated eye tiredness and dryness considered “normal” 4,6,7 may be a thing of the past. The first contact lens specifically created for digital lifestyles is making its CES debut: CooperVision® Biofinity Energys™ contact lenses with Digital Zone Optics™ lens design.
These pioneering contact lenses are engineered from the ground up, combining breakthrough optical properties with an advanced moisture-retaining polymer material. More than 7,000 optometry practices across North America are now prescribing the patent-pending lenses, with select European availability as well.
Seven in ten adults experience discomfort that comes with long hours of digital device use1, and is most commonly felt after two or more hours in front of a digital screen, characterized by tiredness, dryness, and redness. More than a third of Millennials spend nine or more hours each day on digital devices1. Not surprisingly, 68 percent1 to 88 percent2 of Millennials report eye tiredness and dryness symptoms. Extended exposure to bright light, screen glare and longer periods of device use can contribute to the issue, which is becoming known as digital eye fatigue.
Biofinity Energys™ contact lenses are designed for all-day wear, helping people’s eyes better adapt so they can seamlessly and continuously shift focus between digital devices and offline activities. After one week of wear, eight out of ten digital device users agreed that Biofinity Energys™ lenses made their eyes feel less tired.3
Two novel elements are at the heart of the lens’ performance and optimization for digital device users:
- Digital Zone Optics™ lens design, a breakthrough that integrates multiple front-surface aspheric curves across the entire optical zone. This simulates what’s known as positive power in the center of the lens, helping reduce strain on the eyes’ ciliary muscle as a person moves their gaze from on-screen to off-screen and back with less effort.
- Aquaform® Technology, which attracts and binds water throughout the lens material to retain moisture even during times of reduced blinking, which is common with device use. This helps with eye dryness and provides the hydration, breathability, and softness that healthy eyes deserve.
The lenses also incorporate a smooth, naturally wettable surface design with a special rounded edge. This reduces interaction between the lens and the inside of the eyelids, improving long-lasting wearing comfort.
Dr. Bruce Lucas, a fourth-generation optometrist who practices in Woodland Hills, Calif. was among the first to begin fitting the lens.
“Nearly everyone who comes into my office is using digital devices throughout the day, and I’ve been seeing more tiredness and dryness as device use skyrockets. In my opinion, the Biofinity Energys™ lens is the most advanced on the market, thanks to CooperVision having the foresight and R&D muscle to take on this challenge. I’ve been prescribing Biofinity Energys™ to all of my eligible contact wearers – its performance is nothing short of remarkable, and is definitely a game changer.”
“There’s no reason for eye tiredness and dryness to be the ‘new normal’ for the millions of contact lens wearers who are looking at screens throughout the day,” said Dr. Michele Andrews, Senior Director of Professional and Academic Affairs, North America for CooperVision. “Trying to change people’s behaviors by asking them to scale back their digital device use or change how they interact with screens has limited value.
“As a contact lens specifically designed for millions of digital device users, Biofinity Energys™ paves the way for meeting their demanding needs in a wholly new manner. Our research and development team broke new ground, discovering a way to address both optical and comfort aspects in a contact lens created to be worn throughout the day.”
Biofinity Energys™ lenses are designed to be replaced monthly, and require similar care and handling as other soft contact lenses to ensure a healthier wearing experience. Consumers should consult with their eye care professional before wearing this or any other lens.
For more information, please visit FightEyeFatigue.com and CooperVision.com.
Editor’s Note: Journalists attending Pepcom Digital Experience! during CES 2017 may be eligible for a six-month trial of Biofinity Energys™ lenses if they require vision correction, or obtain the same trial for a colleague. Please visit the CooperVision table to learn more.
# # #