Find an eye doctor

As we age, our eyes change. To account for this, it’s important to see your eye doctor at least once a year, unless he or she advises you otherwise.

But what if you don’t have an eye doctor? We’re here to help!

If you’re looking for contacts because of blurry vision, you’ll probably want to seek out an optometrist or “OD.” This is an eye doctor who provides more routine care, like eye checkups. An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor (MD) who can perform eye surgery for more serious problems. 

Here are more tips to help you find the right eye doctor for you.


Choosing eye care doctors in your area

Whether you’re looking for eye doctors in NJ, London, or Kowloon, here are several ways to approach your search:

Consider your family’s eye care needs - If you have kids, you might want to find an eye doctor’s office that’s right for you and your young ones, too. This could make things more convenient for everyone. Along this line, consider how far you’ll have to travel and how this may affect time off from work or school for appointments. 

Ask your trusted friends’ opinions - Pick up your phone or put out the call to your circle of friends on your favorite social network. Was this optometrist attentive to your needs? Does that optician have convenient hours? Whatever is important to you, raise the point and ask.

Phone the eye doctor’s office - Feel free to ask questions. You’ll need to know if they accept your insurance, so ask this right away before you make an appointment. Other pertinent questions include: How long have you been in practice? Is your office kid-friendly? What are your hours? Do you have a Web site I can visit?

When choosing an eye doctor, it’s important to consider a variety of factors and ask plenty of questions. After all, you’re an individual with individual needs. Both you and your eye care doctor want what’s best for you. 

Nothing in this article is to be construed as medical advice, nor is it intended to replace the recommendations of a medical professional. For specific questions, please see your eye care practitioner.
More Articles